Konop for Lucas County

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Music and the Campaign...

Anyone who has been closely involved with a campaign, or has been a candidate, can understand the ups and downs that come along with the mission. Music, I think, can give a campaign perspective and even direction. As Tolstoy said, "music is the shorthand of emotion."

While I travel throughout the county, knocking on doors, going to fish fries, and talking about ideas I have for helping our community, I listen to A LOT of music. And I'm always trying to identify with songs that correlate to the way the campaign is going, lend some insight into the whole process, provide encouragement, or just get your mind off things.

Here are a few recent favorites that have been guiding me along as the campaign progresses:

"Try and Try Again" by Billy Joe Shaver. One of my favorite lines in country music, and a good attitude for a campaign: "If all you do is lose, you better find a way to win." Also another great line about community: "It's everybody's business 'till we get the good work done."

"Tangled Up In Blue" by Bob Dylan. Because nothing is black and white in a campaign...or life.

"My Favorite Things" by John Coltrane. One of the great jazz saxaphonists of all time can really calm the nerves after a turbulent day.

"When The Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash. The title track to the last album he ever recorded. I read that Cash was inspired to write this song by a dream about the Queen of England and the Book of Revelations. Hmmm... In any event, it's powerful and makes you realize there's a whole other world out there.

"Ball and Biscuit" by The White Stripes. Blues with an edge from my favorite two member band. This song always gives me a little jolt, perhaps because I was introduced to the White Stripes by this song. At a Dylan concert in Detroit a couple years ago, Jack White joined Dylan and his band unannounced during Dylan's encore and they combined on a memorable rendition of this one. I think my ears are still ringing...







6 Comments:

  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    Keep rockin' Ben! It's satisfying to know that I'll be voting for someone who not only has the smarts and the vision to do the job but also someone with quality taste in music!

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger jacque said…

    Poor taste in music Ben. Where's the u2? You lost my vote...

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger smithereen67 said…

    Pish Tosh. U2 is cliche. Dylan and Coltrane far outweigh them in talent. You have my vote, Ben, although more for your policy than for your musical tastes.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Kurt said…

    I'm a big fan of U2, but Dylan and Coltrane are superior. I saw U2 in Detroit last October, it was a good show, but I've seen better. I was impressed with the amount of old stuff they played. Their old stuff is great. Jacque, I would not recommend voting on someone because of his or her musical taste. Doesn't really make sense.

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger TaxandSpend said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger abisig said…

    Professor:

    Don't forget that individuals who were born post 8-track era are eligible to vote as well.
    Show us that you are truly a representative of "the people" by developing a more eclectic taste in music -- could I perhaps suggest some of my Britney Spears personal favorites for your iPod?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home